You might be called up on stage to pitch...
You might be at a networking event...
You might even strike up a convo waiting line for a coffee and realize - hey - I need to pitch!
Bottom line - you never know if the next person you meet could change your startup! You want to be armed with the perfect story of your venture at any given moment. Donna Griffit, an International Corporate Storyteller and Founder of invisu.me shares insider tips for getting your story straight and sounding great telling it.
Like SpeedDating - 5 minutes to WOW
Intrigue – Don’t Tell the WHOLE Story
Introducing Yourself + Vision Statement
Make them Feel the Pain…
Or See the Light!!!
And Turn it into a Story!
Heroes and Villains:
- Bad economy
- Targeting wrong demographics
- Time to market
- Security vulnerabilities
- Lack of accessibility
- Declining loyalty
- Rising commodity prices
- Finding the right information/knowledge
- Waste in the system
- Popular rising cultural trend
- Missing a great opportunity
How Far Along?
End with Inspiration!
Elevator Pitch – Problem + Solution and TEENY bit About Biz
The Slides are a Reflection of Your Product!
(Make them both look great!)
Don’t Data Dump! One Big Idea Per Slide
One Big Idea That Grandma Could Understand
Know Your Audience’s Questions – Answer Ahead!
Keep Energy Up – Be Memorable!
Presentation = Conversation
Voice – Volume, Clarity, Pace, Musicality – Breathe!
Umming and Ehhing…
Gestures – Talk with the Hands – Not the Feet
Practice REALLY Does Make Perfect
F.E.A.R - Face Everything And Recover
Walk in the Room at Your Best
Donna Griffit, Corporate Storyteller, has worked globally for over a decade with Fortune 500 companies,
- Ted: Amy Cuddy – Your Body Language Shapes who you are - http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_languag e_shapes_who_you_are.html
- Ted: Nancy Duarte – The Secret Structure of Great Talks - http://www.ted.com/talks/nancy_duarte_the_secret_struct ure_of_great_talks.html
- VentureBeat – Donna Abraham – Why Your Startup Should Ditch the Pitch: http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/19/ditchthe-pitch/